Saturday, September 18, 2010

It's that time of year again!

It's bow season again in NC and I couldn't be more excited!

I'm Zorbacon, and I love all things outdoors. Deer and or duck hunting trade spots as my # 1 hobby depending on which one I am currently having more success at. Fishing is quickly becoming my #2 followed by kayaking in the ocean as #3. I don't rank em' after that. If it involves shooting something, catching something or propelling oneself in some sort of watercraft, I'll try it.

I do most of my hunting in Eastern NC. As I am sure some of you know, there are a lot of deer in NC, but there are not a ton of large deer in the coastal plain with the exception of Halifax and Northampton counties. Those 2 counties have mineral rich clay. The rest of Eastern NC is mostly sandy soil or peat. There are always exceptions , but this is how it is for the most part.

In 2009, I heard about mineral supplement called Lucky Buck. It promises antler growth, mostly in mass "girth". I have been feeding the deer at my main hunting property Lucky Buck since February 2010. It was surprising to find this picture on my camera after only having it out 3 days. A knowledgeable friend of mine estimated this deer to be 2.5 years old. He says this is his first full set of antlers. I count 10 points. Not bad!!! The Lucky Buck must be working!




1 comment:

  1. I'll say that Lucky Buck is working. Ordinarily a deer of that size and age would have pencil antlers. That rack is mature and hearty.

    ReplyDelete