Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Rage Against the Doe:

This post was written by Rowza/Stinky. His name is still undecided.

I left work at 5:30pm yesterday, 9/28/10, and headed to one of my favorite stands, “the spruce tree stand”. It’s not really a spruce tree, it’s actually a holly tree. I got the name from a stand I’ve hunted numerous times in Alberta, Canada called the spruce tree stand. It’s only got 2-3 steps until you get to the limbs, then you climb limbs the rest of the way to the stand. That’s how this holly tree is, so I named it the “spruce tree stand”. Due to the unseasonably warm weather since bow season came in, I’ve only hunted the stand twice before yesterday. I saw a really nice shooter 8pt in velvet the first time, but didn’t have a shot. However, there have been lots of does at this stand, and I was itching to break the ice yesterday and shed some blood. I have a problem sometimes with going to the stand with all expectations of shooting a doe, then I second guess myself wondering if “the buck” is right behind her, and sometimes pass up the opportunity on these fine eating, perfect target practice specimens. Not yesterday…..I told myself I was shooting the first doe that came out……and that I did. It was wet yesterday, so I couldn’t hear the deer coming from as far, and I had to be extra cautious of my movements, as I knew one could slip in on me. She stepped out on my corn/lucky buck pile at 6:20. It took about 10 minutes for her to provide me with the perfect, slightly quartering away shot, but she gave it to me. It was a text-book 20 yard shot, opposing leg forward. My rage 100 grain two-blade entered mid-ribcage and exited just behind the opposing shoulder. It was a clean pass through and a great shot. She ran about 25 yards down the lane I was hunting and turned into the woods. She was already “pushing” when she entered the woods, and I heard her crash just a few more yards into the woods. I’m 8 for 8 now using the rage broadheads, including a clean pass-through on a big mule deer in Alberta last year at 47 yards. The blood trail on this doe was unbelievable, but unfortunately, I couldn’t enjoy the trailing very long. She expired 55 yards from point of impact. I could put four fingers into the entrance and exit wounds in this does. These broadheads are unlike anything I’ve ever seen.

Where have we seen this before……..the beast is dead for evermore!! I have backstraps in the cooler!! I almost forgot how exhilarating it is to kill a deer with a bow and arrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment